Aortic Aneurysm Prevention
- Eat a diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Take steps to prevent, detect, and treat high blood pressure.
- To reduce the risk of the aneurysm bursting or tearing quit smoking and work with your doctor to control blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Diagnosis of Aortic Aneurysm
- Physical examination of your abdomen by the doctor may reveal a pulsating aneurysm.
- X-rays, CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans, or ultrasound imaging may confirm the presence of an aneurysm.
- Angiography (an injection of an opaque dye into an artery to produce a clear x-ray image of the aorta) may be performed.