Questions for Your Doctor about Asthma
Write down the questions you want to ask the doctor about your child's asthma. Include your child in formulating these questions. Here are some samples:
- How will you determine if my child has asthma?
- If it is asthma, is it a mild, persistent or severe case?
- Is it caused by allergies? If not, what is the cause?
- How can we identify the triggers?
- What lifestyle changes should we make to reduce the frequency and severity of asthma attacks?
- How much can I explain to my child about asthma?
- How should I talk about it?
- What medications have the best outcomes for a child this age with this degree of asthma?
- How often and in what situations should we use the various medications? Are there side effects?
- How long should it take for us to see positive results?
- If we don't, what is the next step?
- Can my child continue to participate in sports? If so, what are the potential problems, and how can we address them?
- When is an asthma attack so severe that I should call you?
- When is it so severe that we should go to the emergency room?