If you or someone you love has bipolar disorder, being proactive can make a big difference. Here are some ways to avoid simply reacting to the symptoms of the condition.
- Learn all you can about bipolar disorder. Encourage your family and friends to learn about it as wellso they're better able to understand what you're going through.
- Join a support group, online or in your area. There are times when you will need to talk to someone who understands bipolar disorder from their own experience.
- Stay patient and keep your goals in mindrecovery from bipolar disorder doesn't happen overnight.
- Find outlets for your energy. Discover ways to channel your energy through hobbies, exercise, and physical activity. Talk to your health care provider before beginning an exercise program.
- Manage your stress. Yoga, tai chi, meditation, and other relaxation techniques can be helpful.