The harmful impact COPD can have on quality of life is borne out in the results of a multi-country survey presented at 2011's European Respiratory Society's Annual Congress. COPD patients were asked how the disease affected their lifestyles:
- 52 percent said their condition stopped them from fulfilling their life goals or dreams.
- 41 percent were unable to plan for the future.
- 37 percent saw their household income decrease.
- 34 percent said COPD affected their social activities, and 58 percent were going out less.
- 52 percent said their cough embarrassed them in public.
- 22 percent needed regular help from loved ones; 54 percent needed constant help.
- 17 percent felt like a burden to friends and family.