Overview of Skin Rejuvenation Procedures
There are a number of skin rejuvenation procedures available to help the skin look younger and more refreshed. Facial skin rejuvenation is geared toward age spots, wrinkles, noticeable blood vessels, and changes in skin coloration and texture.
Common procedures include the following:
- Botulinum toxin injections (BOTOX®) – Botulinum toxin is injected directly into the muscle that causes the unwanted wrinkle or line. The muscle then weakens, temporarily losing the ability to make that line, while all other muscles in the area function normally.
- Injectable fillers – Substances (e.g., collagen, Restylane®) are injected to plump up and reshape features that cause wrinkles or lines in the skin.
- Chemical peels – A chemical solution is applied that removes the outer skin layer, revealing a fresh new layer of skin after healing.
- Laser skin resurfacing – Using a laser, skin cells are removed from the affected area, allowing new skin cells to grow.
- Microdermabrasion – Small sterile particles are used to rub away the top layer of damaged skin. The particles and dead skin cells are then cleaned away with a suction device.