Time: 10 minutes, plus 90 minutes freezing
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Peel bananas and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place banana slices and strawberries in a waxed-paper-lined pan. Cover and freeze for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until completely frozen.
- In a food processor, combine frozen bananas and strawberries, 2 Tbsp water and lemon juice. Cover and process until smooth. If desired, garnish with fresh strawberries.
Nutrition Per Serving: 65 calories, 1g protein, 17g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium.
- Replace strawberries with an additional banana and add 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts before pulsing in food processor. Garnish with mint.
- Replace strawberries with 1 cup of blueberries, nectarines, pitted cherries or blackberries.
- Replace bananas and strawberries with 2 cups peach slices and 1 cup raspberries; freeze for about 45 minutes, then process until smooth.
From The New Sonoma Cookbook (Sterling 2011), by Connie Guttersen, R.D., Ph.D. Published with permission.