This healthy recipe is under $1 per serving and, as a healthy boost, black-eyed peas are high in the minerals magnesium, and iron, and in folate!
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 6
1 cup dried black-eyed peas
1 clove garlic
3 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 cups mixed spring greens
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- In boiling water, cook black-eyed peas and garlic for about 20 minutes. When tender, strain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, cumin and pepper.
- Toss black-eyed peas and garlic with mixed spring greens and top with dressing.
Nutrition Per Serving: 170 calories, 7g protein, 20g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium.
Mix it Up!
- Toss the cooked black-eyed peas with 3 cups cooked brown rice and a splash of chile sauce to taste before serving over greens.
- Add black-eyed peas and spring greens to a pot of hot chicken stock, along with thinly sliced onions, carrots and celery.
- Cook diced smoked turkey with the black-eyed peas for a Southern-style (but bacon-free) flavor.
From our sister publication, Diabetes Focus (Spring 2011)