Serves: 4 Time: 15 minutes
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
3 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
2 Tbsp sliced scallions
Nonstick cooking spray
2 oz reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2 large whole wheat pitas, cut in half
- Whisk egg whites, eggs, 3 Tbsp water and salt in a bowl. Stir in Canadian bacon and scallions.
- Over medium heat in a nonstick skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, cook egg mixture until it begins to set. With a spatula, lift the partially cooked eggs and let the uncooked portion flow underneath. Cook for about 2 minutes, until set but glossy and moist. Remove from heat, fold in cheese and fill pita pockets.
Nutrition Per Serving: 200 calories, 18g protein, 19g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 120mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium.
Mix it Up! Recipe Variations
- Replace Canadian bacon with smoked salmon, add 1 cup cooked asparagus or green beans cut in 1/2-inch pieces and replace cheddar with low-fat cream cheese.
- Replace Canadian bacon with 1 cup sliced artichoke hearts and replace cheddar with feta.
- Replace Canadian bacon with 1 cup diced roasted red bell peppers and 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil; replace cheddar with shredded mozzarella.
From The New Sonoma Cookbook (Sterling 2011), by Connie Guttersen, R.D., Ph.D. Published with permission.