Strawberries are high in inflammation-fighting antioxidants.
1 3⁄4 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 9 whole crackers)
1⁄4 cup butter, melted
1 pound fresh or frozen strawberries, hulled and thawed
1⁄2 cup cold water
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 packages (8 ounces each) fat-free cream cheese, cubed
1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
Sugar substitute equivalent to 3⁄4 cup sugar
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
12 medium fresh strawberries
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Puree 1 pound of strawberries in a food processor. Remove and set aside. Pour the cold water into a small saucepan and sprinkle in gelatin; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin completely dissolves. Transfer to food processor; add cream cheese, cottage cheese and sugar substitute. Cover and process until smooth.
- Add strawberry puree; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; fold in 2 cups of the whipped topping. Pour into crust. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or until set.
- For garnish, wash remaining 12 strawberries and gently pat with paper towels until completely dry. Cut tops off berries. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Dip each berry tip until half of the berry is coated, allowing excess to drip off. Place with tips pointing up on a waxed paper–lined baking sheet; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of springform pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Garnish cheesecake with chocolate-dipped strawberries and remaining whipped topping.
PER SERVING 245 calories, 10 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 11 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 14 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium
From our sister publication Diabetes Focus Spring 2015