Walnuts contain minerals that help maintain healthy blood pressure.
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup good quality Dutch cocoa powder
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place egg whites and salt in large stainless steel mixing bowl. Beat with an electric beater or by hand with a wire whisk until they form soft peaks. Gradually add sugar until peaks stiffen.
- Sift cocoa over peaks and fold in with walnuts.
- Spoon mounds about 1 inch in diameter and about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until dry to the touch. Let cool completely before removing from baking sheet.
Per Serving 41 calories, 1 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 13 mg sodium
From our sister publication Diabetes Focus Winter 2013; Reprinted with permission from the Don't Break Your Heart Cookbook, by Shara Aaron, M.S., R.D. , and Monica Bearden, R.D. (Race Point Publishing, 2013)