Buttermilk gives this cake a tangy flavor and a healthy dose of calcium.
3 cups cake flour
1 cup granulated sugar substitute
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, diced
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 8-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, granulated sugar substitute, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add unsalted butter, and, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together to a crumb-like consistency. Add 1/4 cup buttermilk, and beat well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 cup buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture in two batches, beating well each time until smooth and well-blended.
- Divide between the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks, remove cakes from pans, and frost.
PER SERVING 295 calories, 19 g protein, 43 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 595 mg sodium
From our sister publication Diabetes Focus Spring 2014