Serves approximately 3
2 pounds frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chèvre (soft goat cheese)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tomatoes, sliced and roasted*
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 oz chèvre, crumbled
Sea salt and pepper
Handful of fresh arugula
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large food processor fitted with an "S" blade, pulse the cauliflower florets several times, until a rice-like consistency is achieved. Pour the cauliflower into the center of a thin dish towel, then twist it up and use your hands to firmly wring out the moisture. Quite a lot of liquid should be released, leaving you with a dry lump of cauliflower pulp.
- Place the cauliflower pulp in a large mixing bowl and mix in the egg, chèvre, oregano, basil, and sea salt, stirring well to create a uniform mixture.
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the baking sheet and use your hands to press the mixture firmly into a large circular or rectangular crust, about 3/4 inch thick. Be sure to pack the cauliflower mixture together firmly and evenly, leaving no thin spots where the crust may crack.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is dry and golden, then carefully flip the crust over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- To complete the pizza, top the crust with the roasted tomatoes, red onion, and chèvre. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for another 10 minutes at 400ºF, until the toppings are heated thoroughly. Top with fresh arugula leaves, slice and serve hot.
*To roast the tomatoes, preheat oven to 400ºF. Drizzle with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
PER SERVING 252 calories, 16 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 14 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 94 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium
Source: our sister publication Diabetes Focus (Fall 2015) reprinted with permission from Everyday Detox: 100 Easy Recipes to Remove Toxins, Promote Gut Health, and Lose Weight Naturally by Megan Gilmore (Ten Speed Press, 2015).