8 oz lean ground beef
1 medium carrot, finely shredded
1⁄4 cup plain dry low-sodium whole-grain bread crumbs
1 large egg white
1⁄2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled, divided
1⁄2 tsp pepper, divided
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium celery rib, chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced
3 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
1/2 cup dried whole-wheat orzo
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly spray a broiler pan and rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using your hands or a spoon, combine the beef, carrot, bread crumbs, egg white, 1⁄4 tsp of the oregano and 1⁄4 tsp of the pepper. Shape into 32 meatballs. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer on the broiler rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion, celery and garlic for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, the remaining 1⁄4 tsp oregano and 1⁄4 tsp pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in the orzo. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the orzo is tender and the zucchini is tender-crisp.
- Gently stir in the meatballs. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice.
PER SERVING 270 calories, 22 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 33 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium
From our sister publication Diabetes Focus Winter 2014