With only 70 calories and 5 grams of fat, this little cupcake is a guilt-free treat!
Makes 36 mini cupcakes
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
5/8 cup plus 3 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
2 large egg yolks, beaten
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, red food coloring and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together 1⁄4 cup butter and 5⁄8 cup sugar substitute until creamy. Beat in egg yolks for one minute until smooth.
- In another large bowl, using electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, vinegar and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Beat buttermilk and flour mixture alternately into butter mixture to combine.
- Scrape in cocoa mixture and beat for one more minute.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Divide batter among mini muffin cups and bake for 8–12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for five minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together cream cheese, remaining 1⁄4 cup butter, remaining 1⁄2 tsp vanilla, remaining 3 Tbsp sugar substitute and milk until smooth and creamy. Spread frosting on top of cupcakes.
Per cupcake 70 calories, 1 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 5 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium
From our sister publication Diabetes Focus Winter 2013; Reprinted with permission from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Sugar-Free Cooking and Baking by Liz Scott. (Alpha Books, 2012)