A serving of shrimp has about 15 percent of your daily need for omega-3 fatty acids.
3 green onions
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp slivered gingerroot
1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
4 oz large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
Juice of 1 lime
Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the green part of the green onions lengthwise into very thin matchsticks. Slice the white part into thin matchsticks and keep them separate.
- In a wok or wide frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the ginger for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and the white part of the onions and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink, firm and opaque.
- Stir in the green part of the onions and the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING 224 calories, 14 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 2.5 g sugar, 15 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 112 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium
Source: from our sister publication Diabetes Focus Fall 2014; Reprinted with permission from Delicious Diabetes Cooking for One or Two People, by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson (Robert Rose, 2014)