Makes 12 cupcakes & 1 1⁄2 cups frosting
3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
1⁄2 cup granulated no-calorie sweetener
1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄4 tsp almond extract
1 large egg
1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄4 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 cup tub-style reduced-fat cream cheese
1⁄4 cup nonfat cream cheese, room temperature
1⁄4 cup granulated no-calorie sweetener (or 6 packets)
1 1⁄4 cups light whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Place cupcake liners in 12-cup muffin tin and spray with nonstick cooking spray (if using foil liners, you do not need to spray).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients (milk through egg) until smooth. Gradually sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and stir until smooth.
- Scoop 1⁄4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make the frosting, if desired: In a small bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, beat the cream cheeses until smooth. Add the sweetener and beat for 1 minute longer.
- On slow speed, beat in half of the whipped topping until fluffy and just combined. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in the remaining whipped topping. Frost each cupcake with 2 Tbsp frosting.
PER UNFROSTED CUPCAKE 119 calories, 3 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium
FROSTING PER SERVING (2 Tbsp) 32 calories, 1 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 58 mg sodium
From our sister publication Diabetes Focus Winter 2014