In addition to kale and all manner of lettuces, there are a host of nutritious greens that are delicious in salads, either used alone or mixed with lettuce.
- Escarole. Related to both chicory and endive, escarole is slightly bitter and rich in iron, phosphorous, copper and vitamin A.
- Mustard Greens are members of the cabbage family and high in folic acid, calcium, vitamin E and manganese.
- Tatsoi is also known as "spoon cabbage" because its young leaves look like little spoons. It's mildly peppery and sweet, with a hint of cabbage flavor.
- Arugula has small, flat leaves on long stems and a distinct peppery taste and aroma. It’s high in magnesium and potassium and is packed with antioxidants.
- Watercress. Just two cups of raw, chopped watercress supplies one-third of the daily requirement for vitamin C.
From our sister publication REMEDY'S Healthy Living Spring 2014