Grilling summer's signature fruit intensifies its natural flavor—made extra sweet in this recipe with maple syrup and a drizzle of plum sauce. Peaches contain pectin, which has been found to help lower cholesterol. Try this recipe from Meg Galvin, certified executive chef and teacher at the Midwest Culinary Institute in Cincinnati.
- 4 ripe peaches
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, divided (reserve 1 tsp for glaze)
- 1 tsp water
- 2 plums, diced
- 1 cup cantaloupe, diced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Wash and pat dry the peaches. Cut the peaches in half, running the knife stem to tip. Using a small metal spoon, remove the pits.
- Toss cut peaches in a bowl with the cinnamon, nutmeg and syrup (reserve 1 teaspoon for the glaze).
- Combine reserved 1 teaspoon of syrup with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush mixture over flesh side of each peach. Place peach halves cut side down onto prepared grill. Grill 2 minutes. Turn peaches cut side up. Close lid to grill and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Remove peaches from grill and cool slightly.
- Make the Plum Sauce: Place all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Strain liquid through a mesh strainer, pushing solids through with the back of a spoon.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of sauce over each grilled peach.
PER SERVING 129 calories, 2 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium
Chef Meg's 3 Top Peach Tips
- Choose plump, firm and blemish-free peaches that give just slightly with a squeeze. Select free-stone varieties if available—the flesh separates easily from the pit.
- To ripen peaches, place in a paper bag and leave on the countertop for a day or two. They will emerge ripe and juicy. Once peaches have ripened, store in the refrigerator.
- Use leftover peaches for salad dressing: Puree 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1/2 grilled peach and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar until smooth. Drizzle over arugula and Manchego cheese salad.
From our sister publication REMEDY's Healthy Living (Summer 2015)