Prevention of Heel Pain
According to the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA), the following tips may help prevent heel pain:
- Consult a physician before beginning an exercise program.
- Begin exercising slowly.
- Purchase shoes that fit correctly and replace them regularly.
- Stretch properly before and after exercise.
- Avoid uneven walking surfaces and stepping on rocks as much as possible.
- Avoid going barefoot on hard surfaces.
- Vary the incline while walking or running on a treadmill.
- If heel pain occurs, stop immediately. Do not try to exercise through the pain.