Time 10 min.
Green beans are high in folate, which is essential to the functioning of the central nervous system. Eat them, along with the other staples of a Mediterranean Diet—fatty fish, whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables—to support a healthy brain.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb green beans, stems trimmed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Combine basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse into a paste. Add oil and pulse another 30 seconds.
- Boil a large pot of water. Blanch beans for 1 minute or until just crisp-tender and drain.
- Toss green beans, pesto and lemon juice in a serving bowl.
Nutrition Per Serving: 158 calories, 4 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 444 mg sodium