Naturopathic Treatment for Peyronie's Disease
Peyronie's disease is a condition in which the fibrous connective tissue in the penis thickens. The condition is not fully understood and many cases spontaneously resolve within a year or two. For those cases requiring medical or surgical intervention, treatment may be frustrating and ineffective. Naturopathic treatment may be used in conjunction with conventional treatments.
Nutrition & Peyronie's Disease
Proper nutrition and supplements may be helpful. The appropriate diet can improve overall health, boost the immune system, and help the body heal.
- Eat, fresh, unrefined, and unprocessed foods. Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, soy, beans, seeds, nuts, olive oil, and cold-water fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, halibut, and mackerel). Eating organic food helps reduce exposure to pesticides, herbicides, and hormones.
- Avoid sugar, dairy products, refined carbohydrates, fried foods, junk foods, and caffeine.
- Eliminate food sensitivities. Use an elimination and challenge diet to to determine food sensitivities.
- Drink 50 percent of your body weight in ounces of water daily (e.g., if you weigh 150 lbs, drink 75 oz of water daily).
Supplements & Peyronie's Disease
- Bromelain (proteolytic enzymes)Take 750 mg, 3 times daily, on a empty stomach. Bromelain is a pineapple enzyme that can digest proteins (as can all proteolytic enzymes). It helps prevent the deposition of fibrin, which is believed to cause the connective tissue to thicken.
Herbal Medicine & Peyronie's Disease
Gotu kola (Centella asiatica)Supports healing and normal development of connective tissue.
Note: It may be up to 6 weeks of using bromelain and gotu kola before results are noticed.