Trichomoniasis, or "trich," (pronounced "trick") is the most common curable STD in young women. This sexually transmitted disease, which is caused by a parasite, usually does not cause symptoms in men. In women, trichomoniasis symptoms include abnormal vaginal discharge, vaginal odor, vaginal itching, and pain during urination or intercourse. Trich also may cause pregnancy complications, such as premature birth, low birth weight, bladder infections, and prostatitis (in men), if left untreated.
Treatment for trichomoniasis, which involves antibiotics, can help prevent transmission and re-infection. Here are some questions to ask your doctor (e.g., gynecologist) about trich. Print this page, check off the questions you would like answered, and bring it to your doctor's appointment. Information about STDs, including trichomoniasis, can help reduce the risk for spreading these infections.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor about Trichomoniasis
- Why do you think I have trichomoniasis?
- How is trich transmitted?
- What other sexually transmitted diseases or medical conditions might be causing my symptoms?
- Does trichomoniasis increase my risk for other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), such as HIV/AIDS, gonorrhea, or chlamydia/NGU?
- What kinds of diagnostic tests will be performed? What does STD testing involve?
- Should my past or current sexual partner(s) also be tested and/or treated for trich? Why or why not?
- Should I call for the test results or will someone contact me? Telephone number to call:
- What does safer sex involve?
- What precautions should my sexual partner and I take while waiting for the STD test results?
- Are there any complications associated with trichomoniasis? If so, am I at increased risk for these complications? Why or why not?
- What type of medication do you recommend? Why do you recommend this treatment?
- What are the benefits, risks, and side effects associated with this medicine?
- How is this medication administered?
- What should I do if my symptoms worsen or I experience severe side effects? Telephone number to call:
- How long might it take for my symptoms to improve?
- How will you determine if the medicine has resolved my infection?
- If this medication is ineffective, what other treatments are available?
- Are there any long-term risks associated with trichomoniasis?
- Are there risks or complications associated with trich during pregnancy, labor, and delivery?
- How can I reduce the risk for these complications?
- How can I reduce my risk for contracting trichomoniasis and other sexually transmitted diseases in the future?