About Glucose Tests
- The fasting, postprandial, and oral glucose tolerance tests are used to diagnose type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- HbA1c is used to monitor the effectiveness of dietary or drug therapy in the management of diabetes mellitus.
- To detect hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar
- To screen for diabetes, a common disease that often does not cause early symptoms
Who Performs Glucose Tests
- A lab technician or nurse
Special Concerns about Glucose Tests
- A wide variety of factors - including medications, some herbs and supplements, diet, recent illness, pregnancy, infection, stress, smoking, caffeine, and strenuous exercise - may affect blood glucose levels and interfere with the accuracy of results.
The Johns Hopkins Consumer Guide to Medical Tests
Simeon Margolis, M.D., Ph.D., Medical Editor
Updated by Remedy Health Media