Prevention of UTI
The following measures can reduce the risk for bladder infections and other UTIs:
- Avoid products that may irritate the urethra (e.g., bubble bath, scented feminine products).
- Cleanse the genital area before sexual intercourse.
- Change soiled diapers in infants and toddlers promptly.
- Drink plenty of water to remove bacteria from the urinary tract.
- Do not routinely resist the urge to urinate.
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Urinate after sexual intercourse.
- Women and girls should wipe from front to back after voiding to prevent contaminating the urethra with bacteria from the anal area.
- Stop smoking (nicotine irritates the bladder).