Many Ways of Going Vegetarian
- Strict vegetarians, or vegans, avoid all animal products, including meat, poultry, seafood, dairy, and eggs, as well as anything derived from animals (such as gelatin, which comes from pigs or other animals, and often honey).
- Ovo-vegetarians eat eggs along with plant foods.
- Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy foods.
- Ovo-lacto-vegetarians eat eggs and dairy.
- Pesco-vegetarians eat fish.
- Pollo-vegetarians eat poultry.
- Semi-vegetarians or flexitarians rely mainly on plant foods but eat meat on occasion.
Originally published in The University of California, Berkeley Wellness Letter (March 2011)